New county building could bring together departments

File Photo
The county is looking to replace the road department building destroyed earlier this year with a new multi-use facility.

 

The county is taking steps to replace the maintenance building destroyed earlier this year in a fire, along with improving functionality for other departments.

At their regular meeting Tuesday, the court spoke with Craig Thomas of RBS Design Group about what they envision in the new structure. They also discussed costs, as the county lost an estimated $1 million in equipment and older dump trucks when the building on U.S. Hwy. 68 was destroyed.

Thomas said he expected the county’s insurance company to cover a part of the contract with RBS, but their process prohibits the county from having an accurate cost expectation until they open bids.

“What this contract does is allow us to design the new facility and then after we go go through that entire process, [the county] will get to bid day,” Thomas said. “On bid day, you’ll know what the actual cost is. Throughout the process we will give the probable costs.”

Thomas said sometimes projects come in a little above or below probable cost.

Judge Executive Kevin Neal said the project will be different than just replacing the the burnt building.

“The facility we’re asking RBS to design is a multi-use facility,” Neal said. “Obviously, 911… they’ve got a small footprint where they’re currently at. Rebuilding this facility gives us the benefit of moving 911 out of its current location and to a more central location.”

Neal said the county’s 911 service currently operates out of about 400 square feet. The new building will also serve other county agencies.

“You’re still going to have the voting equipment stored there, the maintenance department will be there,” Neal said. “The coroner’s office will also be co-located.”
RBS, of Owensboro, is the same company that modified the Marshall County Health Department after initial construction did not meet state and federal requirements. They’ve recently worked on projects in Lyon and Calloway counties.

Thomas said his company’s fees will depend on the final total project bid.

 

In other business, the Marshall County agreed to begin taking a closer look at the integrity of its bridges.

Neal said the decision is similar to how the county reviews the rest of it transportation system.

“Like the road plan, Wendy [Greer] and I sat down with a bridge plan where we look at our infrastructure,” Neal said. “We haven’t really had a bridge plan in years past, as far as going out and doing the maintenance on them.”

Greer, the Marshall County Road Superintendent, provided the court with information on two roads recently reduced to a 9-ton weight limit by state engineers. Greer said work on Calvert City Road would cost $342,714. The court opted to go with a box culvert for $65,000 to address engineer concerns.

To make sure the box culvert will work, the county agreed to contract with Bacon Farmer Workman Engineering to conduct a hydraulic study for $7,500. Greer said the move will save the county more than $200,000.

Magistrate Rick Cocke said the box culvert would likely satisfy residents.

“I would assume they would be just as satisfied with a box culvert as a bridge because they don’t want a race track out there anyway,” Cocke said. “I’m sure it will be much better than what is out there now, if allowed.”

For 2019, Greer said the county will need to plan for $57,470 to replace a bridge on Sid Darnall Road after utilizing state funding to cover 80 percent of the total project.

  • The court signed a proclamation recognizing Vietnam War veterans on March 29. A meal is planned at the VFW Hall in Paducah at 1721 Washington Street on the same day. Veterans can eat for free and guests for $6 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m.
  • The court also accepted a bid on behalf of the Marshall County Ambulance Service to contract with Select-Tech of Shelbyville, Tennessee to remount a unit for $112,855. Director Bryan Cutsinger recommended the company over two other bidders. The court tabled discussion on purchasing a $25,000 power load system for the service.