UPDATED: New details are emerging into the fatal fire that occurred Thursday morning on Union Ridge Road in Aurora.
According to police reports, Marshall County Lieutenant Brett Edwards and Detective Sergeant Matt Hilbrecht responded to the 2000 block of Union Ridge Road in the Aurora community in reference to a reported fire and death at approximatley 8:33 a.m.
Upon arrival, Lieutenant Edwards met with firefighters extinguishing a blaze in an RV.
An 88 year old male occupant of the RV, Lester E. Woodyard reported that a fire erupted as he turned on a newly connected stove in the RV.
He was unable to get his wife, 84 year-old Ruth Woodyard out of bed and out of the RV.
Deputy Coroner Barry Taylor and Fire Marshal Sheena Richardson responded to the scene. Ms. Woodyard was taken for autopsy by the Marshall County Coroner’s Office and the fire scene was investigated by Fire Marshal Richardson.
The cause of the fire was determined to be that the stove was not properly converted from natural gas to propane. The investigation is continuing by Lieutenant Edwards.
AURORA - An early morning house fire on Union Ridge Road in Aurora ended in tragedy today after an RV (corrected) was reported to be engulfed in flames shortly after 8:30 a.m.
Emergency Responders from the Aurora Ross Fire Department, along with Hardin and Fairdealing-Olive Firefighters responded to the scene where they worked to extinguish the flames, but Aurora Fire Chief Ricky Sirls said the fire completely engulfed the home in a very short amount of time. The fire burned so hot and so fast that few items are even recognizable in the mangled pile of metal and rubble that remains.
It has been confirmed that one person, believed to be an owner of the property, was found deceased inside the mobile home. Their identity has not yet been released.
Sirls said while they believe they know the cause of the fire, they are holding release of that information pending official confirmation through the state fire marshal’s office, who was on scene this afternoon.
The blaze burned hot enough to damage a nearby structure, but firefighters were able to save the home, short of minimal damage to siding.